I love food! I like to try new recipes and I love to cook for friends and family. Some of the recipes I post will be ones I've been meaning to try, to test my capabilities as a cook and others may be dependable recipes I make on a regular basis that I thought I would share. I've been receiving Everyday Food Magazine since it first came out, so many of the recipes you see me trying in my blog will be coming from this magazine. I hope you enjoy my blog!

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Cherry Pie with Crumble Topping

The second pie for Father's Day was cherry pie. I really wanted to make a peach pie, but I didn't buy peaches far enough in advance for them to be ripe enough to bake with. This cherry pie called for a pie top that was made with pie crust bottom, but I decided to use the crumble topping that was used for the peach pie recipe. I will also post the crust recipe separately. It's the only recipe I use for pie crust and is the best in my opinion.
I only made a 1/2 recipe of the pate brisee. Whatever you don't use can be put in the freezer for later use.

Ingredients

Bottom Crust: Pate Brisee (Full recipe, thank Martha Stewart for its greatness)
1 teaspoon of sugar
1 teaspoon of salt
8 ounces (2 sticks) of cold unsalted butter
2 1/2 cups of flour
1/4 to 1/2 cup ice water as necessary

Pulse flour, salt, sugar and cut up pieces of butter in food processor for about 10-15 seconds. Add water until mixture just begins to hold together. Make 2 disks of dough and refrigerate at least 1 hour before use.

Topping: (combine below ingredients until crumbly)
1/4 cup Flour
1/4 cup Oatmeal
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 tablespoons brown sugar
Preheat over to 400 degrees.

Filling:
2 lbs of bing cherries pitted and halved
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch (could substitute with tapioca as well)
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

If you are going to make a cherry pie you should invest in a cherry pitter. Completely affordable and a big time saver in the kitchen.


Combine cherries, granulated sugar, cornstarch and lemon juice. Pour into prepared bottom crust.


Place pie on rimmed baking sheet, bake for 60-70 minutes. Tent with aluminum foil when crust starts to brown.


The pie turned out delicious, but I think I should have added more cornstarch to thicken up the juices.

No comments:

Post a Comment