I love food! I like to try new recipes and I love to cook for friends and family. Some of the recipes I post will be ones I've been meaning to try, to test my capabilities as a cook and others may be dependable recipes I make on a regular basis that I thought I would share. I've been receiving Everyday Food Magazine since it first came out, so many of the recipes you see me trying in my blog will be coming from this magazine. I hope you enjoy my blog!

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Dilly Beans

I always like to try new things, last summer it was pickling. I have no desire to do it this year, but my recipes turned out so good last year that I've had people volunteer to help...so we'll see. 

Ingredients
4-5 lbs fresh green or yellow beans
8-16 heads fresh dill
8 cloves of garlic
4 cups of white vinegar (5% acidity)
4 cups water
1/2 cup Kerr(TM) Pickling Salt

Wash and trim end from beans. Cut into 4-inch lengths (I just left them as is after trimming ends).
in 3 to 4 quart sauce pan combine vinegar, water and pickling salt. Bring to a boil over high heat. Meanwhile, in each hot pint jar, place 1-2 heads of dill and 1 clove of garlic. Firmly pack beans upright in jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Pour hot vinegar mixture in jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Carefully run a nonmetallic utensil down inside of jars to remove trapped air bubbles. Wipe jar tops and threads clean. Place hot lids on jars and screw bands on firmly. Process in boiling water canner for 10 minutes.

They taste just like a dill pickle!

No comments:

Post a Comment